PHP is an open source, server-side, HTML embedded scripting language used to create dynamic web pages. PHP pages have the extension .php. PHP can perform any task that any CGI program can do, but its strength lies in its compatibility with many types of databases.
PHP is an open source code, meaning it is available to the public for free. PHP is especially suited for the creation of dynamic web pages. This server-side scripting language offers web developers a large selection of instruments. PHP allows easy insertion of HTML code and connection to MySQL and PgSQL Databases. Because of that, PHP has become one of the most widely used programming languages and a basis for many Open source applications such as Joomla, Wordpress, 4images, eLearning.
Common uses of PHP include -
- Content Management
- Forums / Bulletin Boards
PHP is now the primary platform for web applications, even though the PHP language is a lot younger than the other competitors. What gives it that special edge is the ease of use and friendliness of the language - it's simple to understand and creating websites with it is quite easy. Today, it's a base for almost all of the popular free scripts used for blogs, forums and e-commerce solutions, and in a recent statistic research it was determined that all popular blogs run on a PHP designed system
The advantages of a PHP website
- Database interactions - One of the great advantages of PHP is the ability to interact with databases. Its latest releases have the ability to interact with almost every database software used. The most popular combination is PHP with MySQL as the database software. This is a very popular and powerful combination, the proof for which can be found in the LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP) package - a ready to go package for web servers.
- Platform independence - Another advantage of having your website in PHP is that PHP is a software independent language and applications written in PHP can be used on any software platform. At the moment of the release of PHP 5, PHP was already available for systems running Linux, Windows, Mac OS, Sun's Solaris, IBM AIX, HP-UX, FreeBSD, Novell Netware, SGI IRIX, IBM AS/400, OS/2, RISC OS. Due to the fact that PHP is open-source, there are also releases for exotic environments, such as Amiga OS and BeOS.
- Huge corporate support - Last, but not least, due to its high popularity, PHP has gained the support of some of the major software market players, such as IBM, Oracle and Microsoft. With such companies behind the PHP language, you can rest assured that if you build your website in PHP, you will never run out of sources for information, upgrade and improvements.
Why should businesses consider PHP website development
PHP is a generally-used open source general-purpose scripting language that is completely suited for web development and can be fixed into HTML. PHP is a server-side scripting language designed for website development but also used as a general-purpose programming language. It is examined to be a robust platform for building feature-rich web and database access.
- PHP comes with the capacity to support many frameworks
- PHP offers broad technological support
- It is one of the greater amount effective solution for website development
- It offers scalable and roust solutions
- It is viable to frequently upgrade language for high performance